Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Why I Love "Lost"...or Regaining the Enjoyment I Felt Taking My College Philosophy Courses

One of my favorite memories from college was studying for Philosophy tests with Larry. I loved reading about theories on time and reality and then wrestling through them with him. I found that reading about the philosophers helped give definition to what I believed and thought. In addition, I realized that many of the authors that I devoured on a regular basis wrote from a definitive philosophical perspective that I could now name (i.e. C.S. Lewis and Platonic thought).

Through the years since, an occasional book or movie will ignite a renewed interest in my philosophical side and I always take great pleasure in the mind-stretching that ensues.

That being said, the television show "Lost" has spun me into a philosophical revival of sorts. On a purely entertainment level, I thoroughly enjoy the characters, mysteries, mystic premises and relationships but I had trouble pin-pointing the exact reason for my obsession with this series. Until now! I don't want to regurgitate what has already been so eloquently stated by various reviewers, writers, and fans but I would like to point you to article that I found completely absorbing.

If you are a fan of "Lost" or a fan of philosophy, this is a great read (whether you buy into the writer's theories or not). Be warned: If you haven't been keeping up with the series, you may find some spoilers.

'Lost,' a la Descartes

No comments: