Saturday, November 10, 2018

November


Almost two years ago my husband and I felt deeply that God was calling us to downsize… specifically our house… and move back to San Diego even though we had only moved away from it 18 months before.  I had just remodeled my kitchen to an absolute dream for FREE (due to a terrible plumbing issue and a nice insurance company) and I loved being in the kitchen for probably the first time in my life.  It was calming, and I could see results for my work quickly compared to other things in life, like losing weight, raising children and growing out bangs.


All that to say, despite the big beautiful house, there were other things about our Orange County experience that were challenging.  We struggled to find a community.  The church where we finally landed was wonderful but still felt foreign in many ways.  Our older kids felt like strangers in this new house that didn’t have all the memories and friends they had grown up with.  We were financially strapped and constantly worrying about money.

We took a deep breath and a step back and told God, “ok”.  We sold our big house, a TON of furniture and stuff that would never fit in our new little bungalow and moved back to Chula Vista, the place our family calls home.

It turns out that God can see a bigger picture than we ever can.  Imagine that! 

A few months after downsizing, Larry was laid off from his executive position and we were left without an income.  We NEVER would have survived if we had been in our big, lovely Orange County house with its ginormous mortgage and no support system around us.  God knew what He was doing apparently.

We have definitely struggled through the last 18 months that we’ve been back.  Months of no income.  An old house that is constantly in need of repair.  Something breaking down almost every day.  But, in the midst of all the uncertainty, we have found little hidden treasures. 
  • Our children are so at home here and they are thriving.  THIS is home.
  • We found a local church that is in the business of being the hands and feet of Jesus to its community and investing in healing and redemption.
  • We discovered new facets to our dreams and vision for our future.
  • We were near again (in proximity) to extended family and old friends.
  • We’ve had opportunities to use our gifts in new and exciting ways.
  • Our backyard is home to many birds and butterflies
  • We started our own consulting company… together!
So, while there are days when I think if one more thing in our house breaks down I will scream or I long for the day when I have a master bathroom sink that works, I KNOW this is where God has placed us. 

Last night when our son yanked us from our slumber because a pipe under our kitchen sink was spewing hot water all over the kitchen, I thought I was going to lose it.  This morning I awakened with a cloud of discouragement cloaking all the goodness of God.  And then I felt his prompting to write.  I headed to The Nest (our office space in the back yard) armed with my bulletproof coffee and began this post.  And once again I see that God knows what He is doing.  He has guided me, through this “exercise”, to change my perspective.  At least for the moment.  I know that I am prone to wander.  

But I’m thankful in this moment.  And this is what I need to be.

I’ll transform her dead ground into Eden, her moonscape into the garden of God, A place filled with exuberance and laughter, thankful voices and melodic songs.  -Isaiah 51:3 (The Message)
What are you thankful for today?

3 comments:

Tampabaykat said...

Thanks for posting this. I was trying to piece together what has been going on with you, so this clears things up. It sounds like you have found your happy place!

Unknown said...

BEAUTIFUL post Melissa! Shared it on my Facebook. I hope many people read it. It was a real blessing to hubby and I. Thank you for sharing! ❤️��❤️

Suzy Will said...

I've known you people for a long time! I've known Larry since forever! You two are masterpieces and lessons to all of us! And I want to know that coffee brand❤️