Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Ruth Bell Graham

In the spring of 1998 I was blessed to be able to spend an unbelievable few days with one of the greatest women I have ever met...Ruth Bell Graham. Our small group of actors/singers were performing a tribute to her life and writing in Montreat, North Carolina. The Grahams housed us at the Billy Graham conference center, away from the bussle of conference crowds in private cabins that Ruth had helped decorate. Ruth took us out for Chinese food, served us Haagen Daas in crystal in her lovely home and showed genuine interest in the lives we lived back in San Diego. I spent the days in a haze of disbelief. Was I really here? With these people? I will never forget it. It was a once in a lifetime experience. Words cannot describe what an amazing woman Ruth Graham is.

Tonight I learned that Ruth has lapsed into a coma and is close to meeting her savior face to face. I am sad. I am especially sad for her family. But I am so very thankful for the few moments I got to spend with her.

This is lunch with Ruth at her favorite Chinese restaurant. Her parents had been missionaries in China when she was growing up and she loved the Chinese culture. Little did I know at the time that I would one day visit China and fall in love as well. Ruth is in navy blue directly to the left of me (I'm the red-head...it was my color for that year!).





This is in the Graham's living room after our ice cream and a wonderful visit.





No comments: